3 min read

Painting: Phase Spider

As my party descends into a lost temple, they discover that a nest of Phase Spiders has moved in. To prepare for the session I printed and painted some minis for the encounter.
Painting: Phase Spider

My party was wadding into a long-lost temple of Gond located deep in the Castle Ward of Waterdeep. In addition to the traps and temple guardians, a host of phase spiders had taken up residence in the final chamber.

I decided to try my hand at painting a few minis for the session. My goal was to come up with something presentable for the table and I think I achieved that. These certainly will not win any competitions but they were enough to put my party on edge.

Final product. Perfect? No. Table ready? Yes.


I used Elegoo Translucent Resin on my Elegoo Mars 2 Pro to print a design by mz4250. (You can find the stl here). If you are unfamiliar with his work, he has been working through all the monsters in D&D and open-sourcing his sculptures. Truly a man of the people. If you want to support him, here is his Patreon.

Paint wise I used what I had on hand:

  • Heather Blue (Reaper Mini)
  • Dragon White (Reaper Mini)
  • Pure Black (Reaper Mini)


I used two-sided tape to fix the model of my painting handle.

Base Coat

I then applied a base coat of Heather blue to the bottoms of the legs and the main body of the spider. I was planning on removing the base (more on that later) so I was focused on just getting the paint on the model. The hardest part was the outline on the abdomen. It took me a couple of tries, using a wet paper towel to start over, to get it acceptable.

Then, to get the fading look on the legs, I combined two drops of Heather Blue and two or three drops of water.  then lightly faded the diluted mixture up the legs.

Left view after a base coat
Front view after a base coat


The next step was to apply the wash.

I mixed:

  • Four (4) parts Heather Blue
  • Two (2) parts Pure Black
  • Eight (8) parts water

The wash itself came out a little darker than I would have liked so I might recommend reducing the Pure Black to a single drop.

Looking a little too dark after the wash.

Dry Brushing

Next was dry brushing. I did two passes.

The first was a layer of pure Heather Blue to compensate for the darkness left by the wash.

The second was a half-and-half mixture of Heather Blue and Dragon White.

Unfortunately, the pictures don’t do the model justice.


There were three details I added to finish up.

The Eyes:

  • 3/4 Heather Blue
  • 1/4 Dragon White

The Spots:

  • Heather Blue

The Fangs:

  • Pure Black


Removing the Base: One thing you may notice is that this spider looks a little different than the one above. I painted two as I went (same process, subtle adjustments). Unfortunately, while removing the base of the first one, I snapped off three of its legs. In retrospect, I should have kept the base and just painted it.

Keeping a Log: As I paint, I keep a log of what I did. In the event that I want to reproduce the look (or adjust it), I have the reference right there.